The personnel policy of the Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Belarus is primarily aimed to form full-time personnel, able to effectively perform duties, assigned to the bodies and organizations of the justice system, and to provide the efficient use of the personnel’s potential.
During the formation of full-time personnel of the Ministry of Justice, there is a combination of experienced, highly professional workers and young specialists. Constantly, the proportion of young people among personnel of the central office of the Ministry of Justice is about 25%, in the personnel of territorial enforcement agencies – about 50%.
Main tasks of working with personnel in the Ministry of Justice are:
- selection and placement of personnel taking into account professional, business and personal skills;
- development of personnel potential of employees;
- organization of work with personnel, taking into account modern requirements for personnel at various levels of management;
- introduction of modern personnel technologies, improvement of forms and methods for evaluation of personnel activities;
- formation of acting personnel reserve, perspective personnel reserve from youth and organization of systematic work with them;
- motivation of effective work, rational use of human resources, creation of favorable conditions for work and professional growth, formation of an effective system of material and moral stimulation for workers;
- improving of in-service training, advanced training, internships and retraining of personnel;
- planning and organization of self-education of persons, who are included in personnel reserves;
- improvement of ideological work;
- formation of intolerant attitude toward corruption among employees;
- maintaining a healthy moral and psychological climate in labor collectives, strengthening of labor and executive discipline, inadmissibility of the outflow of highly qualified workers with the appropriate professional level;
- ensuring proper conditions and labor protection.
The Ministry of Justice has drawn up two policy documents that determine the main directions of the personnel policy and ways to achieve set goals – the Program on improvement of human resourcing of the Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Belarus for 2018-2025 and the Program on improvement of human resourcing of enforcement agencies.
The objectives of these programs are development and implementation of a common set of principles, forms, methods and tools into work that ensure the improvement of the personnel management system of the Ministry of Justice, bodies, organizations within the system of the ministry, territorial enforcement agencies, increase the efficiency of selection, placement, career growth of the professionally trained and proactive leaders and specialists.
The Ministry of Justice Much gives much attention to the organization of personnel succession and the selection of candidates for the personnel reserves.
The procedure for working with the personnel reserve in the Ministry of Justice is prescribed by the Instruction on the Organization of Work with Personnel in the Central Office of the Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Belarus, Bodies, Organizations of the Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Belarus, approved by the Resolution of the Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Belarus dated April 8, 2005 No. 15.
Work with personnel reserve includes its formation and control over the state, the training and promotion of employees, enlisted in the reserve. The personnel reserve is reviewed annually until April 1.
The main criteria for enlisting a candidate to the personnel reserve are:
- results of his practical activities in his current position, indicators of labor and executive discipline;
- business and personal skills of the candidate, his ability for the upcoming work, potential opportunities;
- test results and last certification of the candidate;
- opinions of persons, directly working with the candidate;
- age and health status of the candidate
At the same time, the Ministry of Justice is on an ongoing basis forms a list of candidates for the purpose of filling positions in the central office of the Ministry of Justice, including for the purposes of including them in reserve.
The legal status of the employees of the Ministry of Justice, who are civil servants, is governed by the laws of the Republic of Belarus "On Public Service in the Republic of Belarus", "On the Fight Against Corruption", as well as other normative legal acts.
General requirements for candidates, applying for a work in the Ministry of Justice, are:
- citizenship of the Republic of Belarus;
- knowledge of the state languages of the Republic of Belarus;
- clean record;
- higher legal education;
- work experience in the specialty;
- knowledge of the Constitution of the Republic of Belarus, laws concerning the performance of relevant duties.
People, who are first entering the civil service, has to pass a qualification exam in accordance with the procedure laid down by the Decree of the President of the Republic of Belarus dated March 17, 2005 No. 139 "On Approval of the Regulation on the Qualification Exam for People, First Entering the Civil Service".
The Ministry of Justice attaches great importance to the training of legal personnel, mastering practical skills by students and their preparation for independent professional activity in the legal specialty and cooperation with educational institutions of the republic on these issues.
The Ministry of Justice concluded agreements on the organization of student practice with the Academy of Public Administration under the President of the Republic of Belarus, the Belarusian State University, the Belarusian State Economic University, the private educational establishment "BIP-Institute of Law", International University "MITSO’, the Law College of the Belarusian State University and other educational institutions.
Annually students of these educational institutions interns at the Ministry of Justice, the best of which are enlisted into the personnel reserve of the Ministry of Justice on the basis of the results of internships. To this date, 10 former students, who have completed internships at the Ministry of Justice, are working in various positions at the Ministry of Justice.
In order to accelerate the process of professional development of young specialists, people, who first entered the civil service, persons with preliminary test term, acquiring necessary professional knowledge and skills and quick adaptation within the collective a mechanism of mentoring has been introduced into the practice working with personnel in the Ministry of Justice. During the mentoring the employee under the guidance and with the support of the appointed mentor gets acquainted with the organization of management activities within the ministry and the relevant structural unit, with issues of interaction with other structural units, local legal acts of the ministry, software products, used in the service, with the practice of the relevant structural unit and reviews theoretical questions, regarding to performance of official duties.
The improvement of professional level of employees is provided at the Academy of Public Administration under the President of the Republic of Belarus, Belarusian State University and other educational institutions of the republic. Besides this employees of the Ministry of Justice participate in training seminars, conferences, lectures, including those abroad.
The Ministry of Justice on an ongoing basis holds various ideological events – campaigns, dedicated to public holidays and public days, during which free legal aid is provided to citizens, contests for the best in the field, volunteer clean-ups (Saturday work), campaigns, dedicated to the events in the socio-economic life of the country, sports competitions. Establishment of these events provides a favorable microclimate in the work community, fosters a sense of responsibility and discipline of each employee, increases the civil awareness of employees, and stimulates active participation in public life.