Notary and Registry Offices
The main tasks of the Department on Notary and Registry Offices are:
- ensuring regulation of notarial service and governance of notary in the Republic of Belarus;
- ensuring control over the observance of the legislation on notary by notaries, the Notary Chamber of Belarus, its organizational structures;
- general and methodological guidance on registration of acts of civil status by divisions on registration of acts civil status of district, city executive committees and local administrations in districts in cities, Houses (Palaces) of civil rites of city executive committees, city (cities of district subordination), village and rural executive and administrative bodies;
- methodological guidance of registration of acts of civil status by consular institutions, as well as diplomatic representations of the Republic of Belarus when they perform consular functions;
- ensuring control over registration of acts of civil status by divisions of registration of acts of civil status by district, city executive committees and local administrations of districts in cities, Houses (Palaces) of civil rites of city executive committees, city (cities of district subordination), village and rural executive and administrative bodies;
- ensuring the fulfillment of the functions of the Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Belarus in approval of the appointment and dismissal of heads of divisions of registration of acts of civil status by district, city executive committees and local administrations of districts in cities, Houses (Palaces) of civil rites of city executive committees, as well as the conclusion (extension, termination) of contracts with indicated persons;
- ensuring approval of candidacies for the posts of heads of archives of bodies, registering acts of civil status, central departments of justice of the regional executive committees and the Minsk City Executive Committee;
- maintenance of a register of notary offices and notarial bureaus;
- maintenance of register of certificates for notarial service;
- preliminary certification of official documents, drawn up in the territory of the Republic of Belarus, originating from courts, central departments of justice of the regional, Minsk City Executive Committees, notary archives, as well as notaries for consular legalization.
About Notarial Service
In 2019 in the republic 835 notaries carried out notarial service within 212 notary offices and 45 notarial bureaus.
Notaries performed more than 1 350 million notarial acts in 2019. In comparison with 2018 the number of committed notarial acts increased on more than 8.8 thousand.
The Qualification Commission for Notary Service held 25 meetings and reviewed 509 materials.
Based on the results of the review 10 certificates for notarial services were issued; 19 certificates for notarial services were annulled; authority of 9 notaries has been suspended; authority of 14 notaries have been renewed; 3 certificates for notarial service were amended. The Qualification Commission for Notary Service examined materials on certification in relation to 442 notaries.
In 2019 the Ministry of Justice carried out significant work to improve the legislation on notary.
The House of Representatives of the National Assembly of the Republic of Belarus adopted the draft Law of the Republic of Belarus "On Amendment of Laws on Notary Services" in the first reading.
The Ministry of Justice was working on the preparation of a draft Decree of the President of the Republic of Belarus, aimed at empowering notaries with the authority to affix apostille on official documents of the Republic of Belarus, as well as further improvement of the procedure for satisfying indisputable requirements.
Work was underway to improve legislation, governing issues of collection of a notarial tariff and exemption from its payment. Based on the results of the work, the Resolution of the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Belarus dated December 5, 2019 No. 840 "On Amendment of the Resolution of the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Belarus dated December 27, 2013 No. 1145" was adopted.
In order to file of documents in electronic form for executive inscription by a notary on debt collection based on a loan agreement, other agreement, containing the essential terms of a loan agreement, as well as with reference of amendments to the Housing Code of the Republic of Belarus, the Resolution of the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Belarus dated December 28, 2006 No. 1737 "On Approval of the List of Documents In Relation to which Collection is Carried Out in an Indisputable Manner on the Basis of Executive Inscriptions". The Resolution of the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Belarus dated December 28, 2019 No. 931 "On Amendment of the Resolution of the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Belarus dated December 28, 2006 No. 1737" was adopted.
The Decree of the President of the Republic of Belarus dated September4, 2019 No. 327 "On Improvement of the Energy Efficiency of Multicompartment Buildings" empowered notaries make executive inscriptions on collecting debts for recovery of expenses (parts of expenses) for implementing measures aimed at efficient and rational use of thermal energy in multicompartment buildings. For the execution of these executive inscriptions documents have been determined that confirm the indisputability of the creditor’s claims on the debtor (Resolution of the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Belarus dated December 5, 2019 No. 839 "On Realization of the Decree of the President of the Republic of Belarus dated September 4, 2019 No.327" was adopted).
In order to implement the Program of Socio-Economic Development of the Republic of Belarus for 2016-2020 in 2019 the work was continued to study the possibility of developing a unified electronic system for recording notarial acts and inheritance cases regarding the use of the up-to-date technologies for transferring and storing information, proposals were prepared to modernize the system taking into account opinions of the Notary Chamber of Belarus, which is its owner.
In November 2019 a solemn ceremony of admission of Belarusian notary to the International Union of Notaries took place. This event, significant for the Belarusian notary, will give a new impetus to the further development and improvement of this institution.
On the Activities of the Bodies, Registering Acts of Civil Status
In the Republic of Belarus there are 147 divisions of the registry offices of district, city executive committees and local administrations of districts in cities, the Palace of Civil Rites of the City Executive Committee, which carry out 15 administrative procedures on registration of acts of civil status.
The Ministry of Justice adopted resolutions that changed the forms of marriage certificate and name change forms, approved new form of departmental reporting on administrative procedures, carried out by registry offices last year. Work was carried out to improve the norms of the Code of the Republic of Belarus on Marriage and Family.
Annually in the context of regions of the republic the largest number of acts of civil status is registered by the registry offices of Minsk – more than 59.3 thousand (20% of the total), the Gomel region – more than 46.2 thousand acts (16.4%), the Minsk region – more than 45.1 thousand acts (16%), the Brest region – more than 43.7 thousand acts (15%).
In 2019 the registry offices of the republic registered more than 298.1 thousand acts of civil status, issued more than 904.3 thousand documents on registration of acts of civil status (primary and replacement certificates of registration of acts of civil status, certificates containing information from records of acts civil status, notices of the absence of records of acts civil of civil status).
In 2019 more than 62.7 thousand marriages were registered in the republic, among them more than 39 thousand were registered with the provision of additional paid services, i.e. in a festive atmosphere, which is 62% of the total number of marriages. More than 1.6 thousand wedding anniversaries have been held, of which 570 are "gold" and 611 are "silver".
In 2019 registry offices registered more than 88.3 thousand the acts of birth. More than 8.3 thousand births were registered in a festive atmosphere last year. The largest number of the acts of birth was made by the registry offices of Minsk – over 19 thousand. The registry offices of the Brest region made more than 14.1 thousand, of the Gomel region more than 13.4 thousand, of the Minsk region more than 12.6 thousand the act of birth.
The most popular proper names were: Maxim, Artem, Mikhail, Alexander, Matvey, Sofia, Anna, Maria, Ksenia, Anastasia at the end of last year.
The following names were popular in the regions: in the Vitebsk region – Alexander, Nikita, Matvey, Ivan, Yegor, Daria, Ksenia, Milana, in Minsk – Mikhail, Roman, Anna, Alisa and Ksenia. Many children named Mikhail, Artem, Ivan, Maxim, Timofei, Sofia, Maria, Anna, Polina, Anastasia appeared in the Brest region.
In 2019 more children were given rare names. Only in Minsk, according to the results of the year, the names of 180 boys and 251 girls in the records of the act of births are not repeated. Assol, Venus, Jennifer, Lelya, Rogneda, as well as Fadey, Oscar, Dobromir, Yves and Vitovt were born in the capital.
Rare names were in the regions. Girls, for example, were called Mercedes, Germanika, Aysel, Veselina, Zlatoslavia, Milady, Dobromila, Elsa, Ayan, Yasna, Luna, Leia, Virsavia, Lazarina, Lyubava, Yasmin, Simon, Sen, Fekla, Alice, Junona, Jadwiga. Among rare male names are Herald, Filat, Solomon, Tamerlan, Franz, Mars, Camil, Avtandil, Mailis, Tadevush, Foma, Martin, Leonty. More often rare names were given by parents to girls. And the largest number of children with unusual names appeared in Minsk and regional centers.